Thursday, February 20, 2014

I was a teenage cartographer pt. 1

Short story: my first summer job in college was for the Montgomery County Auditor. I combed through old property records and drew parcels on an ArcGIS map. I learned a lot from the experience, but most recently I'm reminded of the high difficulty starting a new system of mapping.

For my Scalar Shakespeare project, I want to compile a post a comprehensive map of Shakespearean locations. The problem is that it's difficult to learn Google Maps' KML interface. When all else fails, read the directions...

First, I have to install various geegaws--namely, the google docs app for chrome and google earth--which I prefer not to do on principle. But that all worked out eventually.

Next, I have to dredge through student journals for the locations used throughout the plays. That's a chore because I have to plug in text into google, and then grab lat/long data from there.

Ultimately, I can't resolve the problem of linking between locations. I can't figure out how to describe "Placemark ID" in a way that works with the spreadsheet.

Anyway, here's your friggin' map.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment