Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Lesson planning: The table of my memory

Remember thee?
Ay, thou poor ghost, whiles memory holds a seat
In this distracted globe. Remember thee?
Yea, from the table of my memory
I'll wipe away all trivial fond records,
All saws of books, all forms, all pressures past,
That youth and observation copied there
And thy commandment all alone shall live
Within the book and volume of my brain
Unmixed with baser matter. . . 
Hamlet 1.5.95-104

For the past two weeks my students have been footnoting and annotating the mit shakespeare. It's been an awkward teaching position: my duty has been to sit and wait for questions, then to quickly resolve the umpteen requests that all arrive at once. It's a very hurry-up-and-wait kind of work.

Tomorrow, my class is back to the normal mode of lecture, discussion, and activity. But I really want to expound on the importance of the work my students have done as editors. So I'm going to revisit the subject of bibliography with more activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment