Thursday, February 20, 2014

Internet of things, orchestra of things

Alternate title: I have no mouth and I must sing.

When I was a teenager, I spent a lot of time in front of a non-networked computer in my family's basement writing music on Finale. After I got bored with that, I spent a lot of time trying to make noise with Finale. I got really interested in exhausting the limitations of MIDI instruments, in the same way that Dan Deacon did in Bromst. But I'm also interested in people using noise to make music. The Bit-52s are a networked assemblage of things that perform live music.

Both Bromst and the Bit-52s break instruments from the functions assigned to them. They show hidden powers to their respective instruments. And I relate that subject to object-oriented ontology.



When I talk about object-oriented ontology, I'm really doing two things:
  1. Making mistaken claims about OOO
  2. Defying functional fixedness
One of these days I'll have to read Democracy of Objects. I think I have time. OOO will probably come of age when we really start dealing with the Internet of Things. The Internet of Things, like Bromst, will start broadcasting the hidden powers of objects. And when the vast majority of the internet is a bee-loud thrum of the hive of objects, we will find ourselves suddenly already in a world of objects: objects with mouthless voices and musical static.

No comments:

Post a Comment