Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Writing Journal 2014.2.19.0849

Before:
I have to work more on a review piece. The task is pretty straightforward, so my only metric for success is word count. That's actually a bit of a challenge, I think. I currently perceive my job as grinding out words, but this isn't hack writing. This is an opportunity for me to perform a lit review and hopefully get credit for it. So I need to draw on any skills I have as a rhetorician or salesman. As such, a better metric for success may be to write four or five rhetorical zingers throughout the piece. The other challenge will be to be free from distractions, but that's not really been a problem this morning. If I feel distracted, I'll just tune into some noise-rock.
After:
I didn't get a great deal done in my first half-hour period because somebody I know was upset about a work issue and I had to talk it through with her.
The second timer didn't go well either, but this time I distracted myself.
The third timer went better. I'm closing in on the end of this section.

No comments:

Post a Comment